Thursday, December 30, 2004

Tsunami : How you can help?

The horror unfolding in Southeast Asia is of Biblical proportions. It is one of the worst and costliest disasters in history. The victims of the disaster are poor fishermen, who made two meals a day, from their nightly catch. These are people who have no financial reserves. Now, they have no home. They have lost their family and livelihoods. People, who survived the tsunami, have diseases to worry about. There has been warning from all major organizations about water borne diseases like, cholera, Dysentery.
Its been predicted that, more people could perish from diseases than from the disaster itself. My heart goes numb. I’m trying to do as much as possible to help. Below are some of the links that are helpful for people who are offering help and people who need help.

  • Prime minister's relief fund

  • More Resources

  • More Resources

  • Tsunami help



  • It’s hard for the surviving victims to go on with their life. How would we console people, who are undergoing pain of such staggering proportions? Is it possible to do that?. How do you deal with them? How do we motivate these people to get on with their lives? I know time heals most of the wounds. But do they have so much time?

    I’m going on vacation to India in Feb and I intend to spend a week in Nagapattinam(one of the worst hit in south India) to help the victims. Please help me find answers, so I’m better prepared to give comfort to these people and make my trip worthwhile.

    My husband and me are also giving up our New Year plan of going to a dance club, and instead are channeling that money to help the Tsunami victims. We are going to motivate our friends to do the same.

    We are all in shock and our hearts are heavy. Please feel free to share your feelings. To post, click “comment on this” on the right bottom corner of the post

    No comments: