Thursday, December 08, 2005

Why am I agnostic?

I grew up in a moderately conservative, god-fearing society. There are fewer chances of people being agnostic, in such a setting. So, how did I become agnostic? When did this process begin for me?

  • When the believers visit Tirupathy/Shabarimalai, (Any temple): They bribe the temple personnel to see the Statue, bedecked with jewels, which they call “GOD”, quicker than any other, so they can get out of that madness as early as possible. Then put incredibly amount of money/wealth to the temple’s Hundi (Temple Donation), wherein they wouldn’t give a penny to the needy. Worst of all, them believing that, by doing so, their sin is washed away and they can start working on a fresh batch, which can be gotten rid off, in their next visit. (Yes guys,God is watching how much money you donate to the temple. The more you donate, the less full your pot of sin,is gonna be) “
  • From my experience, “The most devout are the most presumptuous ” (Ring a bell!)

This put me on the road to atheism( I dont consider myself an atheist ,yet). I have explored many avenues since. During my exploration, I have met believers whose whole theory is just simply wrong. I don’t believe in God/Religion/Culture. I don’t celebrate any festivals or practice any rituals. It doesn’t make sense to me. What makes sense to me is to get involved in the community and work for the upliftment of the world we live in. What makes sense to me is to celebrate Diwali/Christmas/Ramdan by organizing a blood donation drive or cooking food for the homeless… What makes sense to me is to fight against, slavish obedience to a custom, culture or to the crowd” [Gora].

I believe in, as Douglas Adam says,” Justice and Fairplay”. (Read the interview, Link Via Arun). I have come to understand from my experience on this Earth so far, that I could lead a worthwhile life, without god/religion/caste/culture. Also read Madman's plight in dealing with these religious nuts.

No comments: